A month ago I opened up the doors to my new dressing room and you all seemed to like it so I thought I'd share with you another dressing room related post. This time focusing on my ever-changing dresser (a.k.a chest of drawers). I'm not sure why I like to switch this part of my room up so much but at least once a week I give it a little change around...
I like to mix and match and layer the items on my dresser just like I do with my clothes. Truth be told, my dressing room is the smallest room in the house and at the same time it easily has the most in it so I like to arrange things in an orderly fashion that is pleasing to the eye. I don't know what it is but it just makes me happy and I truly believe in the whole 'clean house, clean mind' thing. I do my best work (both uni work and on the blog) when everything is neat and tidy. I'm no pro but I thought I'd share a few tips and tricks to have your dresser or desk looking rather special in a jiffy:
- Get some inspiration. Pinterest is my personal favourite for this and you can take a peek at my home decor inspiration here. Alternatively just type in keywords such as "home decor", "dresser organisation" or simply "vanity" and up pops a whole host of inspirational photos.
- Play around with things. Mix and match your pieces and layer items on on top of each other. An idea would be to put a magazine or a book with photos in front of them.
- Have items of different levels on the surface you're working with, it makes it more interesting and visually pleasing.
- Improvise and create your own storage solutions or decorations. For example, reusing an old candle jar is a good idea to house your makeup brushes, cotton buds or even pop potpourri in. Another idea that I've previously done here would be to cover a canvas with wallpaper or magazine clippings and hang it on the wall.
- If one decor item is particularly taller than the others try to balance it out a bit with something on the other side of your surface or wall. It doesn't have to be the same item, I've used old paper bags from places like Space Nk and Jo Malone to add a bit of somethin' somethin' to the walls and bring everything else up to the same level as the light up branches in the vase on the left.
What's on my dresser: Light up branches and brown vase from B&M Home, a jewellery holder which was a gift from my boyfriends mum and is full of necklaces and earrings from various places, an old candle jar from The White Company full of makeup brushes, a small wooden chest with butterfly engravings, an empty Heartwood Candle jar full of potpourri from BHS, Gok Wan's Work Your Wardrobe book, a white photo frame from the Pound Shop complete with photo of myself and my two oldest best friends, a No7 mirror, a Primark sweet vanilla and coconut candle, a John Lewis black basket, October 2013 Elle Magazine with my beloved Rosie Huntington-Whiteley on the cover, black photo frame from the Pound Shop of myself another one of my uni friends, a medley of jewellery and watches and finally, my Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet in a cheap white Ebay case.
What's on your chest of drawers, desk or beauty area?